Skip to main content

Re: The Donkey in the Ditch

google.images.com

I'm in the pit.

It's dark, dank, and deep.


I can smell the rancid odors of my sins past, and I've meditated and been feeling the condemnation for each and every one of them for so long I can now smell which sin is which.


It's especially sad because I know God is there. I can feel Him...yet...He feels so far away.


Is He mad at me?


What He told me to do was so easy...why didn't I do it?


And then the Scriptures I've memorized over the years start, filling me with guilt.


"Haha, you've missed your blessing. You see what you've done?" The accuser's voice fills my ear, and although I know he's wrong and comes only to steal, kill, and destroy...this time I know he's right. And I believe him.

Suddenly I can relate to Tenth Avenue North's "Times". Or maybe Third Day's "Revelation".

But then, I did something. I closed the door to my office and poured out. I cried out for help, guidance, and just to plain hear His voice clearly again.


And me, who at this point is so confused I can barely decipher my voice from the Lord's, hear simply "cry". You didn't have to tell me once- I grabbed my Bible and flipped to the index, smashing a few thin pages down in my haste. And then, under the 130th chapter in the Book of Psalm I found it:



"Out of the depths have I cried to You, O Lord. Lord, hear my voice; let Your ears be attentive to the voice of my supplications. If You, Lord, should keep account of and treat [us according to our] sins, O Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You [just what ma needs], that You may be reverently feared and worshiped. I wait for the Lord, I expectantly wait, and in His word I do hope. I am looking and waiting for the Lord more than watchmen for the morning, I say, more than watchmen for the morning. O Israel, hope in the Lord! For with the Lord there is mercy and loving-kindness, and with Him is plenteous redemption. And He will redeem Israel from all their iniquities." --Psalm 130:1-8 (AMP)

I have an NIV Version of the Bible, but I love the Amplified version of this psalm. It really clears up any confusion I might have by explaining things in smaller detail. It seems David and I share the same cries. I find this situation especially humorous now that the Lord has heard and answered me, because I was watching Joyce Meyer's message this morning entitled, "The Donkey in the Ditch", all about getting up and out of the pit. If you haven't heard it, please, download her app and listen for free, turn on you TV and tune into Daystar or TBN, or order it online. It is truly a blessing to have someone yell at me and tell me obvious things about Jesus that I forget. 

Today, I just want to encourage anyone who's in that pit. You can get out. It's very simple, actually. Making that first attempt to crawl out was scary. 

I pressed the weight of my body on my hands and lifted my body up, my feet scratching the walls of the cave, looking for a place to rest. Pebbles broke off rock and spilled into the cuts that lay open in my hand. 

And I prayed. I told Him everything that was on my mind. My fears about being left by Him and wallowing in my own self-pity, and about missing my blessing due to disobedience and partial-obedience.

In the midst of my inner turmoil, a blanket of peace overwhelmed me. It was like Jesus literally picked me up and set me on solid ground.
"He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and have me a firm place to stand." --Psalm 40:2 (NIV)
I felt alive, blameless, without reproach. Like a new believer feels after they're given their life to Christ.


"Yet He has now reconciled you in His fleshly body through death, in order to present you before Him, holy and blameless and beyond reproach." --Colassians 1:22 (NASB)

If you're experiencing this in your everyday walk- don't wallow in self-pity or put off spending time with God. Listen to your Spirit and deny your flesh a little time and spend it with your Savior. You've got a whole book of knowledge sitting near you. You ARE richly blessed! And Jesus wants to bless you even more! All it takes is a prayer. Heck, it doesn't even have to be a good prayer. The Bible says God hears even the faintest cry, even the inner groaning of our soul. Don't believe Satan's lies- you don't even have to use words. 

You can get out. Sometimes it doesn't even take words.


"He'll break open skies to save those who cry out His name. The One who wind and waves obey is strong enough to save you." --Tenth Avenue North, "Strong Enough to Save" 

Love,





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

College Rules: the new rules for school

This book helped change the way I saw academics, and changed my grades for the better.  As a second-year student who read this going into freshman year, this book has become a manual for me. It's the first and only college advice book I read as I started college.  Knowing the book was written by two experienced professors and researchers who've spoken and taught hundreds of students made me feel confident that the advice in this book was legit, and "in the know" advice only professors would have. I enjoyed reading it, as it really felt like I was having a conversation with the authors. It in no way felt like I was being "talked at". So grateful that Jesus sent this book--out of all the college preparedness books out there--for me.  In my two years of college, I have made Dean's List every semester, partly due to the advice on how to study found in this book. I keep it permanently on my bookshelf as a reference in case I need a little refresher on how to

Getting to Know You Better

  "But for a brief moment I abandoned you, but with deep compassion I will bring you back" (Isaiah 54:7). Compassion-" a feeling of deep sympathy and sorrow for another who is stricken by misfortune, accompanied by a strong desire to alleviate the suffering" (Dictionary.com). God feels deep sympathy for ME. Me?! He feels deep sympathy for me like He did for Matthew.  "As Jesus went on from there, he saw a man named Matthew sitting at the tax collector's booth. "Follow Me," He told him, and Matthew got up  and followed Him" (Matthew 9:9). Matthew must've had a lot of faith to leave right then. Jesus must've had a smile on His face as He called His son in.  I am grateful to see a tidbit of what He is like. 

Lazaraus Awakening: Changed My Spiritual Relationship

I have really grown after reading her book--and this is only the last of the series! I now keep this book on my shelf for safekeeping, and I've even bought the first book of the series to grow further. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone looking to grow in their relationship with God--or anyone trying to pump life into it and reconnect. It made me look at Jesus and his interactions with Lazarus and his sisters differently, which caused me to look at my life differently, and that has really made the difference! 5/5 for sure! Thanks to Blogging for Books for the copy.